appalachian thrail thru hike

read about my last long hike of surrender, a thru-hike of the appalachian trail from march 11th to july 1st, 2012 at timsatthruhike2012.blogspot.com

Saturday, May 25, 2013

pct day 20 - 05/25/13

i slept really well last night and hit the trail at 05:40 prepared to dodge some more poodle dogs . . . lol. they continued until approx mile 436, where they lightened up considerably. there was one interesting moment where i watched as an overhanging poodle dog that i did not notice rubbed against the length of my forearm from my fingertips to my elbow. so far no reaction. i have wondered whether or not i am resistant to such things, including poison ivy and oak because i know i have come in contact with them before and have not had major reactions. time will tell . . .

i continued on my way and ended up stopping at a campground at mile 444 that had a store. i quickly downed a pint of ice cream, still not providing enough calories, and continued on my way.

the pics below are of my hike under i-15 (yes, i stopped to sing for a while) and then through the rock canyon shortly thereafter on my way to agua dulce . . .









i ended my day by arriving at the sofley's house in agua dulce. these amazing trail angels have graciously opened their backyard and second home to thru hikers providing laundry, cots in tents, showers, a kitchen, internet, mailing service, and bikes to get in to town. so gracious and generous. just another example of what is really out there in the world. this is the major lesson from travels and hiking - that what you are shown in the evening news is not what is out there. people are generally good and kind and gracious and generous.

my lesson for today is in remaining calm in the midst of potential stress and pain. it makes for a much more enjoyable day . . .

28 miles from jeep road to the sofley's house. 455 miles total.

- tribhu (tree-boo)

No comments:

Post a Comment